Entry 1

Nicole Drake's Blog

Welcome to the first entry of my blog!

Click here! to watch my first entry.

Comments

  1. Hi Nicole! It is so awesome that your grandmother spoke three languages. It seems like you have always been surrounded by a variety of languages. It is great that you have picked up on some words and phrases by being around your boyfriend and his family. I am sure you will learn the language in no time. When it comes to your teaching philosophy, I agree with what you are saying. Wright stated, "teachers need to know their student's cultural background and how culture influences learning at school" (Wright, 2015, pg. 17) If the students do not understand the language you are speaking when teaching them then they are most likely to not attain the information. As a teacher you need to be aware of student’s cultural background because this may affect the students learning.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carina! Thank you for watching my blog entry and understanding my point being made. Culture plays a huge role in the way students learn at school for a number of reasons. Being able to be comfortable in your classroom really makes a difference on how well you perform academically. I can only imagine being in a classroom and being the only student who feels left out. As future educators we should try our best to prepare and seek out activities, readings or songs that are from different cultures.

      Delete
    2. Nicole,
      You made a great point, and I completely agree with you. I think that providing students with an environment where they feel comfortable plays a huge role in their learning. If students are comfortable then they are more likely to ask questions when confused or when they need help. As future educators, I think that this should be one of our priorities. I would hate to have a student be afraid to ask questions because they don’t feel safe in my classroom.

      Delete
  2. Hello Nicole! Great first post, it was so fascinating to learn about your history of hearing such diverse languages growing up in your family. I can understand why your grandmother thought it would be best for you to prioritize learning English first, as it was her fourth language and most complicated to learn. I am glad that you have learned several phrases in Turkish, French, and Armenian but I wish it was encouraged more so from teachers that you learn it fluently. Wright states that "encouraging ELLs to maintain and develop their home languages while they develop proficiency in English benefits the individual ELL and his or her family and community, as well as the nation overall" (Wright, 2015, pg. 19). I completely agree with your standpoint that teachers should include culturally diverse books into their classroom libraries, and promote an environment that is multiculturally welcoming. It is important for ELLs to be proud of their primary language heritage and develop it to their fullest to further pass it on to their children.

    Wright, Wayne. Foundations for Teaching English Language Learners: Research, Theory, Policy, and Practice. Philadelphia, PA: Caslon, 2015.Print. Second Edition

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jennifer! I’m happy you found my first blog post fascinating and I’m always open to share more about the diversity in my family. I agree with the connection you made from the text. Encouraging our students, especially ELLs, to not loose touch with their own native language while learning English is crucial. We should want students to work hard and stay interacted with their own culture outside and inside the classroom. This encouragement will benefit these students in the long run and could increase their opportunities in the work force in the future.

      Delete
    2. Hello Nicole! I’m interested in how your teachers included your cultural background into their teaching. Did you share any family stories or traditions during a share out or show and tell? What made you feel more included in your classroom? I’m also curious as to ask if your had any negative experiences. My own personal experience, because of my speech impediment, I had trouble speaking with confidence. I would chose to not share if I had the option, and it negatively impacted my collaboration in class discussions.

      Delete
  3. Hey Nicole! I love watching your videos and learning more about you and your families a linguist stick background. You are so lucky to have grown up around people who value different languages and know the importance of learning those languages at a young age. Even though you did not speak these languages fluently the fact that you picked up on some words and phrases would actually mean that you could be labeled as a heritage language learner in school!(Wright, 2015, pg.5) I think the fact that you were exposed to so many different cultures and languages when you were younger really influence the idea that you believe a classroom should be culturally inclusive. I think you’re absolutely right and that this is necessary for our students to thrive in the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vivianne! I’m glad to know that you enjoyed my first blog entry and learned more about my family. I like how you mentioned heritage language learners because I never really thought of myself as one. Sometimes people think that just because they aren’t fluent in a language they have been exposed to in their culture, they can’t use tit to their advantage. Having a cultural connection actually is a great thing that we must all make use of and use it as an opportunity to educate others about the cultures you are aware of. I could easily make use of my exposure to other languages and culture in my future classroom. Thanks again for the response!

      Delete

Post a Comment